Saturday, September 24, 2016

My Life Versus the Asian Stereotype

"The first time I heard Robert Johnson sing I knew he understood what it meant to be Indian on the edge of the twenty-first century, even if he was black at the beginning of the twentieth. That must have been how my father felt when he heard Jimi Hendrix" (Alexie 35).

Sherman Alexie demonstrates the isolated feeling minorities can have; they are constantly reminded of their differences from the "societal norm." The Dad, who is annoyed by the history of abuse Whites had on Native Americans, relates to Jimi Hendrix because they both belong to minority races. By escaping society and listening to Hendrix’s rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner, the Dad is able to connect its variations with the differences in his life; the highs and lows in the song represent the highs and lows in his life, but they come together to make a unique combination. Alexie further demonstrates minorities’ isolated feelings by using humor in the movie Smoke Signals to mock the stereotypes society places on people. The movie contrasts the stereotype of Native Americans—being a primitive hunter—with an “atypical” Native American. The movie demonstrates that stereotypes are false and cannot—and should not—be applied to any group of people.


Stereotypes affect everyone in society. Whether they depict the dumb blonde or the overachieving Asian, stereotypes generalize groups of people with a few characteristics. By simplifying the diverse number of personalities in the world, they give false preconceptions of people, despite the fact that every human is different in his or her own way. How could it be possible for everyone under one stereotype to be the same?


My parents are the perfect example of not conforming to the social stereotypes. Because they are “Asian parents,” one would expect them to be extremely strict, forcing me to study 24/7. However, this is definitely not the case. They do not check Schoology obsessively and only check it after each marking period ends—they do not even have a Schoology account. They do not force me to continuously study for hours upon hours. I force myself to study as hard as I do. My parents do instill the value of education, but they have not taken it to the “Asian level.” I even asked them once what they would do if I got a grade lower than an A. They said to me that “there is nothing you can do but reflect on your mistakes and try and succeed the next semester.” They value the education I get more than the letter grade.


It is funny to think that they do not force me to become proficient at the piano and violin. Even though they encouraged me to play any instrument I wanted, I ended up deciding for myself that I would quit playing the trumpet in 9th grade. Not to mention, my parents always try and make me go outdoors no matter how many upcoming tests or assignments I have. They believe that getting exercise or relaxing between periods of studying will keep me more focused than studying 5-6 hours straight. Their philosophy is completely different from that of the strict stereotypical Asian, and I love that my parents do not conform to the Asian stereotype because the freedom has allowed me to shape who I am today.

Stereotypes are destructive towards society; they make minorities feel even more separated from their country. Furthermore, they understate the complexity of human personalities, forcing everyone under the same stereotype to seem the same. People need to show their true personalities and prevent themselves from becoming carbon copies of what society chooses for them to be.

7 comments:

  1. Richard, you have made another excellent blog. This time however, I found myself relating to your own experiences you wrote about in the blog. I also enjoyed how you connected Alexi's passage (and movie) to your own life. I am looking forward to reading your next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Richard! I really liked how you included personal examples to prove you point about not conforming to the "societal norm." I find myself relating to the example of your parents, but in a different way. The stereotype of American or "typical white parents" is laid-back and not really caring how their children do in school. Mine are the opposite! They check schoology almost every day and are pretty strict when it comes to studying and doing homework. Overall I think you wrote another great blog! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great blog! I enjoyed reading it very much and you related Alexi's passage fluidly into your own personal story. I agree that stereotypes make not only minorities but also all others who have been labeled appear the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Richard! I enjoyed reading your blog very much. I like how you related Alexis passage to your own life. The journalistic feel made it really enjoyable to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Richard, this was yet another great post. I have had experiences with stereotypes as well but I've never really been offended by them.And just like my stereotypes, they don't pertain my family and most Albanians i know, just like your stereotypes don't either. I think we can both agree that stereotypes are not true and just give people a view that is completely wrong on our respective cultures. I think that the media has a strong effect on perpetuating these stereotypes and I hope that they can die down.Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your experiences with Asian stereotypes are similar to my own - My parents are not at all strict and allow me the freedom to enjoy life. Thanks for sharing your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job, Richard! I really enjoyed reading your post. I like how you relate Alexie's passage to your own life. I have had similar experiences with Asian stereotypes in my life too. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete