Saturday, November 5, 2016

A Look Into My Past


I remember back in 3rd grade when my mom bought me Elmo sneakers. They were white with a picture of some of the characters on Sesame Street. Most notable on the sneakers were the ABC letters that were ostentatiously displayed on the center of the shoes. They were the bane of my existence. Despite the good intentions my mom had, I could not escape the scathing remarks from the kids at my school.

“Are you a baby?”

“Why are you wearing those childish shoes?”

I would always say at night, "'Please make me disappear'" (Morrison 45). It was not just the shoes that people made fun of me for. It was the “football shaped head,” scrawny body, bowl cut hair, small eyes… My body would slowly coil into a ball, trying to allow “the little parts of [my] body [to fade] away” (Morrison 45); however, my deficiencies would always be revealed to the world, allowing the criticism to attack me. My mom did not understand what I went through, and I was forced to continue to wear the ugly sneakers.

The next day, I covered Elmo with white duct tape and went to school. Nevertheless, the kids made fun of my shoes. At recess, they threw mud at them, staining them black. The dark deficiencies would always cover me completely, defining who I was wherever I went. No matter what I wished for, no matter how hard I dreamed for a different life, I would always remain in the same body, waiting for ridicule. Why did I have to suffer through this while others happily enjoyed their lives?

I absolutely hated PE class. When we played kickball, I would always be left with a useless role like covering a base that someone else was already covering. My scrawny body could never help the team. My bowl cut hair would be flowing through the wind. I remember one time when a kid purposely pushed me to the ground, covering my completely in dirt. The teacher would always believe that it was an accident. After that, I always found an excuse to avoid the class. I would ask my homeroom teacher to allow me to stay in class. Sometimes I would even act like I was completely confused on what we were learning, just to avoid PE.

During the EOGs (End of Grade Assessment Exam), we had a bathroom break. Some of the boys decided to throw wet paper towels at people. The assistant principal came and stopped them. Then, he took the people into our classroom and asked them who else was involved. Out all the people in my classroom, I was named. I never understood why the assistant principal believed that they would tell the truth. I felt like the world was directly targeting me; I had to apologize without even being given the chance to argue my case. The world that was covered in a white facade was slowly being revealed in front of my face.

I continued going to school, hating every bit of it—except for my elective, reading, and math classes. Those were the only places where I could escape. This is what forced me to work hard at school. It was not the pressure from my parents, but from the bullies at my school. If I succeeded in my school work, my intelligence would cover my deficiencies that people made fun of me for. However, inside I still yearned to be like the idolized students at my school. I beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past. The harder I tried to achieve my goals, the farther the goals seemed to move away from me.

Now, 8 years later and 706.8 miles away from this event, I am stilled affected by it. I still have the “football shaped head,” scrawny body, small eyes… I still try my hardest at school to make myself unique and cover my ugliness. However, I feel like I have become more accepting of myself. If someone criticizes me, I will not be stopped by their words. My individuality is not defined by what other people have to say. I will continue to study as hard as I can, forgetting my want to change my physical traits. I will never trap myself in the dark period that defines my past.

Despite my acceptance for who I am, Pecola is still stuck looking at her deficiencies, allowing her desire for blue eyes to consume her. She has never experienced anything different or found herself appreciated. I was only able to move on because I found refuge with academics. Pecola, on the other hand, is completely shunned by society, making her believe that she is not worthy of anything. Without discovering oneself, people can quickly become disillusioned with society; they are put in a cycle of abuse, unable to move on from their self-loathing. 

10 comments:

  1. Great post Richard! I found it interesting when you reflected on your experiences in elementary school. You have also established your voice well throughout this post because of your concise writing style. I found myself relating to your experiences because I was bullied in elementary school too. I especially thought the comparison between yourself and Pecola was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Richard!! I'm really impressed by how effectively you conveyed your past. You were able to use so many little anecdotes to enhance the main idea. I also liked how you started with the innocent Elmo sneakers and then shifted the tone with the bolded sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed how personal this post was and how well you were able to relate your experiences with Pecola's struggles. Also, I agree with Chittesh that the use of the bolded sentences was a nice touch and was effective in showing extra emphasis and shifting the tone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Richard this was a great post, not to mention you had really great writing style! It was super personal but you did a really nice job of merging your past experiences and comparing them with Pecola's similar experiences in The Bluest Eye. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Richard, I appreciate you getting so personal with this blog post! The anecdote you provided was very good and well told. I also liked how you were able to connect Pecola to all of this. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I am so surprised how you compared your experience with the shoes with Pecola's doll. Your story kept me interested, entertained, and sympathetic. I think almost every child can relate to their parents forcing them to do something that causes great humiliation. This story just reminded me of my cargo shorts and green polo days, all thanks to my well meaning, but nonetheless extremely cheap, parents. I was severely bullied when I was younger as well, and it truly is traumatizing, your honesty is refreshing and I really enjoyed learning about you. I wouldn't be able to have the courage to be so personable, and I really felt what you were writing. Your personal call to action is very inspiring, and fam, you're not ugly!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Richard! Your bold touch was a nice touch in showing the extra emphasis and the change in tone. I'm really impressed with how you used your personal experiences in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Richard!! Loved this post your voice really showed through this with your personal experience. I liked how you said that Pecola doesn't have an activity to overcome her deficiencies, like you had acidemics. Your post is very well thought through and I enjoyed reading it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Richard! I liked how you made this blog post more personal. Your personal tone made me feel sympathy towards you and really enhanced your point. I loved how you tied your personal anecdote in with you point about Pecola and self loathing. All in all, I really enjoyed reading your post. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete