Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Bluest Election

Dear readers,


I am sorry I did not post earlier. I usually try and have my post done on Saturday, but I had many activities this weekend. This week's post may go against your views, so it is okay if you do not agree. 

Morrison utilizes the seasons throughout her novel to emphasize the cycle that Pecola goes through—the cycle of abuse. Through each chapter, Morrison juxtaposes the season's normal connotation with an unfitting event to highlight the disorder in Pecola's life. (Maureen Peal, a idolized, vivacious girl, juxtaposes the normal, gloomy days defined by winter, Pecola's rape scene juxtaposes the bright days defined by spring, etc.). However, this week does not need to be juxtaposed to emphasize disorder. The election of Donald Trump was devastating to me. I felt like the falling leaves that characterizes fall; the fate of this country in the upcoming months will wither away. While some leaves (people) remain on the coniferous trees, other people (leaves) will fall and disintegrate. The cold dark days that loom ahead of us are another reminder of the time left we have with complete freedom. Soon, we will be trapped by the wall, shutting ourselves from the cultural diversity that originally defined this country. 

The results of the election "yanked [me] up by the arm, slapped [me] again, and in a voice thin with anger, abused [me] directly" (Morrison 109). Originally, I joked with my teachers and friends at the thought of Trump winning—it was impossible; even Mr. Aldinger said there was little change of it occurring. Pushing me out my ignorance, the election results revealed the truth behind Mr. Trump's words. I was no longer shadowed by lies, and I now had to deal with a President who said "when Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending the best. They’re not sending you, they’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bring crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people" and that "the concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive."


Pecola's innocence was destroyed when Mrs. Breedlove abused her; instead of protecting her own daughter, she decided to shield a little white girl from the truth. Mrs. Breedlove refuses to tell the "little pink-and-yellow girl" what is happening by saying "don't worry none, baby" and "'course I will" (Morrison 109). By showing love towards a white girl, Pecola begins to realize the world is not made of perfect families, which are normally portrayed in movies; instead, there are parents like Mrs. Breedlove who are disillusioned with society themselves and vent their anger on their children. Morrison further demonstrates a fall of innocence by alluding to the fall of man. Mrs. Breedlove spits "rotten pieces of apple" (Morrison 109) at Pecola, elucidating the harsh reality that Pecola is only now beginning to realize. This "rotten" (Morrison 109) truth that Pecola discovers is not even completely revealed to her; through the rest of the novel, Pecola will begin to piece together the "pieces" (Morrison 109) that are slowly, internally destroying her.

Similarly, my understanding of the world is only slightly beginning to be revealed. Is it fair that Hillary Clinton won the popular votes but Donald Trump wins the election? Is it fair that most of Donald Trump's votes came from uneducated rural populations, leading to his victory? I used to think of the government as an imperfect solution that is the best we have; now I am realizing the corrupt nature of politics. Our world is defined by profit and loss, winner and loser, power and helplessness, etc. While the election results may shadow the words that Donald Trump said to others, my innocence is destroyed. Soon, the "little girl in pink" (Morrison 109) will realize what he/she has done.

Repost from the Facebook Group

2 comments:

  1. Hey Richard, Nice post! I too was shocked by the results of the election and i really enjoyed how you linked the bluest eye with the election. I look forward to reading next weeks post!

    ReplyDelete